Sleeve gastrectomy is one of the surgical methods of weight loss. In this procedure, stomach will be reduced to 25% of its normal size; by using this surgery, a large part of the stomach will be removed. And then open edges are attached together to form the tube or sleeve with the banana shape. This method permanently decreases the stomach size. This surgery is performed laparoscopically and it is not reversible.
Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is the restrictive method without using any malabsorptive components that are present in other weight loss procedures. This is a fashionable procedure, in this approximately 70% of the stomach will be removed, which releases hunger hormone called ghrelin that results in a smaller, new stomach that is roughly the shape and size of a tube or sleeve. This will provide decreased appetite and increased satiety.
With this decreased stomach size, patient feels full after eating less food, takes in lesser calories, and then loses weight. Hungry hormone drive will be taken away after this surgery, so patents do not feel hungry.
Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is a very simple procedure than the gastric bypass surgery, because it doesn’t require reconnecting or rerouting the intestine. The Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy is performed with small incisions, and it takes about an hour to perform. Same as the adjustable gastric band, and roux-en-Y gastric bass, this procedure is conducted in minimally invasive manner through small incisions. As in this laparoscopic gastric bypass, camera, harmless gas and instruments would be utilized.
Particularly this procedure is indicated for people who are at high risk for the bypass procedure, have complex surgical history or high BMI. To avoid potential risks of the foreign body, patients can also consider the laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy procedure instead of gastric banding procedure.
· Stomach size will be reduced without any loss of function or anatomy change. This will result in few chances of developing lack of minerals and vitamins and eliminate the dumping syndrome in the gastric bypass surgery.
· Almost 75% weight loss of overweight.
· Too much decrease in the ghrelin.
· In this no implantable band devices are used, so erosion or slippage is not a risk.
· Surgical risks lesser than with gastric bypass surgery, but weight loss is same.
· This is performed by using minimally invasive method, which helps in reducing the recovery time.
· No device is used, it only requires adjustment. The band is inserted, so follow up hygiene is not as acute as it would be with band.
· Reduces the chances of developing ulcers.
· Fewer visits than the lap Band, because here no need for the adjustment of band size.
· You may need to stay 2 days in the hospital.
· You can return to your daily routine within 3-4 days.
· Usually complete surgical recovery occurs in 7-10 days.